Anime brand manager, letterers, an intern, and an editorial assistant are the jobs available this month.
Over on our Twitter account we posted about job openings in the anime & manga industry over the past few weeks. It’s rare to find enough public listings for openings, and also rare to do a roundup of them. That’s what makes this post of who’s hiring this month kinda significant.
Note, some of these listings will eventually expire, so just a heads up. Unless otherwise noted, the jobs will require you to be in that city/state.
Anime Brand Manager for Crunchyroll (San Francisco, CA)
“Crunchyroll is looking for a passionate and dedicated Brand Manager to take ownership of their assigned Brand content and products, making sure each title is strategically promoted and distributed, as well as being an advocate to make sure each IP is promoted to its fullest potential. The Brand Manager is the expert on their Brand Titles, and will be the lead in coming up with promotional plans and following up on execution, as well as be the go-to person for anything related to the brand. This role will be responsible for overseeing the full exploitation life cycle of acquired brands/titles across various internal departments. Additionally, this role will own the partnership management of the content’s associated Licensors.
The ideal Brand Manager is self-driven, organized, responsible, and is able to effectively manage multiple IPs at different stages of their life cycles. They will have had experience in knowing how to manage content IPs across multiple channels of distribution, and work across many cross functional teams internally, as well as various partners in outside channels.
Japanese ability and interest or expertise in Japanese anime is a strong plus.”
Editorial Assistant for Yen On (New York, NY)
“The Editorial Assistant is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support to the Yen On editorial team for the light novel program and contribute to associated manga licenses.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist light novel editors on vetting translation
- Contribute to Editorial passes on pending manuscripts
- Write and correct back cover and catalog copy
- Coordinate transmittal of materials to Managing Editorial and Production as per scheduled deadlines
- Maintain the accuracy of metadata in essential systems
- Perform administrative duties, including: photocopying, sorting mail, filing, directing/responding to phone calls, etc.
- Interact with Sales and Distribution, attend sales conferences, trade shows, and conventions, providing support as assigned
- Other duties as assigned”
Manga Lettering at Seven Seas
Job Type: Freelance, Project-Based
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign experience a plus
- Ability to seamlessly retouch/restore pure b/w screentone artwork in Photoshop at press-ready quality
- Ability to follow a script and style guide with attention to detail
- Good communication and time management skills (English)
- Internet access with sufficient bandwidth to receive and deliver large work files
- Must love manga and be familiar with English translated editions
Editorial Intern for Spring 2018 at VIZ Media
This candidate will assist our Editorial Department, creators of graphic novels and tradebooks. Candidates for this internship should have previous writing/editing experience and/or interest in a writing/editing career.
Candidates MUST be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program, OR have graduated within one year of the start of the internship.
- Copyedit manga proofs and scripts as a second reader
- Checking and organizing data file archives
- Conduct assigned editorial research
- Creating series style guides
- Editorial Library maintenance
- Checking printed books
- Perform data entry and copying
- Packaging and shipping
- Provides general Editorial support including: creating PDFs, photocopying, filing
- Organize digital fan art submissions, respond to fan mail
- Build articles and reviews for Shonen Jump as applicable
- Other duties as assigned